Requirements to be a RACES team member in Kent County:
- Age 18+
- Clean Criminal History / Background Check
- Must have a Michigan Drivers License
- Must be willing to take required trainings
- Must be willing to respond at all hours of the day or night
- Must be willing to work in less then desirable conditions
- Must be willing to be a team player
- Must acquire an Amateur Radio License within six months of joining
We now have an on-line application process. Please register for an account and then fill out the subsequent forms.
The hardest part of the application process is waiting. The application process can take anywhere from 1 week to 3 months. All applications are processed by the Kent County Sheriff’s Department Emergency Management Division and approved by the Emergency Manager.
- Applicant registers for an account and logs in
- Applicant fills in required information and submits application for review
- Board of Directors will arrange for an interview with the applicant
- Applicant and Board of Directors will meet for interview and sign signature forms
- Application will be sent to KCSD for background / criminal history checks
- The Emergency Manager will notify the Board of Directors of their decision.
- Depending upon the decision made by the Emergency Manger the application will be approved or denied.
While waiting, you can always do some independent study programs from FEMA see the links below:
All members need to have the following training to stay current with the team.
These are independent study courses and free of charge.
Any questions feel free to email Jeff Nawrot